Weapons in Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 behave in a different manner than previous iterations of the series. Like the Strikeforce titles, characters can simultaneously equip two weapons at once and can switch between them at will. During battle, players can hold more than one weapon in their inventory and can switch the weapons they're using to change to another in reserve. This can be done during the middle of battle or even when the character is still in the air.
A quick switch between the two weapons triggers a "Switch Attack". Depending on the weapon, the motions for the attack will vary.
An "EX Attack" becomes available when a character is equipped with their personal weapon of choice (colloquially known as "EX Weapon"). The method for inputting these attacks are shown to the player through the weapon's action listing in the game's pause menu. A simple way of spotting the EX Attack or a character's weapon of choice is by noting the letters "EX" with the weapon icon. When it's selected, the golden letters will notify the player. There is one "EX Attack" available per character (2 in Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends). EX Attacks however, are some of the few non-Musou-based Attacks that cannot be cancelled into Switch Attacks, and will reset the charging stage of any chargeable Switch Attacks upon their execution.
Even if characters have a preferred weapon of choice, however, the producer stresses that any weapon can be freely equipped for any character. A character's preferred weapon may not always be the best one for each character since it may not cover all of the character's weakspots. For an example, he compared Guan Yu and his trademark Green Dragon Crescent Blade. The weapon may cover a wide range but it's also slow and leaves Guan Yu open to attacks. To counter this, the producer suggested equipping Guan Yu with a speedier weapon type to make him more flexible. The weapon system strives to grant players the freedom to counteract these type of imbalanced traits at their own will and preferences.
Since the movesets themselves are ingrained with the weapon and not the character, all of the characters in this title will have similar movesets. This means anyone using a set of gauntlets, for example, will act in the same manner as Ding Feng or Meng Huo, the EX users of the weapon type. The known traits to separate EX users from the rest of the cast are their EX Attacks and specialized Musou attacks. Musou attacks for all of the characters will switch to their preferred weapon, regardless of whatever weapon they are currently using. Even if he doesn't have it within his inventory, Zhao Yun will automatically switch to his spear for his Musou attacks. The producer remarked that players can make any type of joke they want about how this is even possible. In the seventh title, gender plays a part in deciding which weapons a character may be able to use.
"Unique" weapons also exist in the seventh game. For instance, both Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi have feather fans as their weapon of choice, but their appearances differ from one another. Wang Yuanji's throwing daggers for her downloadable costume will change their look but will act the same. These "unique" effects are purely cosmetic.
Weapons can be earned by defeating enemy generals in battle or by purchasing them at a weapons store in Story or Conquest Mode. There are weapons that will be exclusive for the player in one mode and not the other (i.e.: there are weapons available in Story Mode that can't be found in Conquest Mode).
|Introduced in Dynasty Warriors 7|
|Chain and Sickle||Multiple|
|Sword and Shield||Xingcai|
|Flying Swords||Zhong Hui|
|Twin Axes||Zhang Liao|
|Twin Rods||Taishi Ci|
|Curved Sword||Zhou Tai|
|Arm Cannon||Guo Huai|
|Dynasty Warriors 7 DLC|
|Dagger Axe||Yueying (Next)|
|Bombs||Dong Zhuo (Next)|
|Short Pike||Han Dang|
|Mace||Pang De (Next)|
|Great Axe||Xu Huang (Next)|
|Pugil Stick||Daqiao (Empires)|
|Spiked Shield||Cao Ren (Empires)|
|Lightning Sword||Sima Shi (Empires)|
|Arm Blade||Huang Gai (Empires)|
|Circle Blade||Ding Feng (Empires)|
|Introduced in Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends|
|Orb and Scepter||Guo Jia|
|Dragon Spear||Zhao Yun|
|Crescent Blade||Guan Yu|
|Twin Pike||Zhang Fei|
|Introduced in Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires|
|Siege Spear||Xiahou Ba|
|Sword and Hook||Xu Shu|
|Introduced in Dynasty Warriors 8|
|General's Sword||Cao Cao|
|Bow and Rod||Xiahou Yuan|
|Dual Blade||Cao Pi|
|Nine Rings Blade||Sun Jian|
|Swallow Swords||Lu Xun|
|Three Sectional Staff||Ling Tong|
|Double-Edge Trident||Jiang Wei|
|Shadow Fan||Pang Tong|
|Horsehair Whip||Sima Yi|
|Striking Sword||Sima Zhao|
|Short Rod||Zhuge Dan|
|Extension Blade||Yuan Shao|
|Talisman Cards||Zuo Ci|
|Wheeled Halberd||Li Dian|
|Dual Hookblades||Yue Jin|
|Flail Sword||Zhang Bao|
|Dual-Headed Mace||Guan Yinping|
|Throwing Axes||Jia Chong|
|Wired Gloves||Zhang Chunhua|
|Dynasty Warriors 8 DLC|
|Flame Blade||Sun Quan (Empires)|
|Revolving Crossbow||Deng Ai (Empires)|
|Sabatons||Guan Suo (Empires)|
|Emei Piercers||Wang Yi (Empires)|
|Paired Fans||Xiaoqiao (Empires)|
|Introduced in Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends|
|War Trident||Yu Jin|
|Flame Bow||Zhu Ran|
|Woven Cloth||Fa Zheng|
|Art of War Scroll||Chen Gong|
|Crossed Pike||Lu Lingqi|
|Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends DLC|
|Stele||Meng Huo (Empires)|
|Mandarin Duck Hooks||Lianshi (Empires)|
|Dragon Column||Liu Shan (Empires)|
|Introduced in Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires|
|Formation Wand||Xun Yu|
|Keys||Normal Attack||Strong Attack||Jump/Mount|
- : Hits enemy with sword handle to break their guard.
- , : Slashes the enemy into the air, jumps up, and strikes them back down.
- , , : Slashes horizontally a few times, stunning the opponent.
- , , , : Sends forth a horizontal air wave.
- , , , , : Stabs into the ground and sends the nearest foes flying.
- , , , , , : Spins around clockwise while performing a half-circular swing to the front, creating a shockwave to knock down opponents.
- , , , , , : Does two overhead swipes before turning around, followed by two more swings that set into the front arc, a frontal stab, and a wider swipe.
- Dashing : Jumps forward while slashing the opponent.
- , : A downward swipe.
- Dash: Rolls forward in the air once.
- Switch Attack: Sends forth a diagonal air wave. Can be used to cancel attacks in Next.
- : An anticipated swing to the right side, then another to the left.
- , , , , , : Six swings to the right side.
- Dynasty Warriors 8
- , : Flips around in mid-air before diving down and stabbing the earth to produce fissures.
- Storm Rush: Inflicts multiple swipes in front of the enemy, ending the assault with a spinning slash.
- Switch Counter: Dodges incoming assault and retaliates with a two-hit spin attack.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Swings sword in a broad angle three times, with each swipe releasing an energy wave traveling forward.
- Charge Attack 1: Inflicts two wide slashes while rotating diagonally. The Blast version adds an extra slash while slightly increasing attack coverage.
- Charge Attack 2: Triggers a minuscule explosion by stabbing the ground. The Blast version causes a pillar of flame to rise up from the impact of the attack.
The sword moveset is considered to be the jack-of-all-trades of this game since almost every character has this weapon at their disposal with either a two-star or three-star skill level. It has moderate range, relatively good attack speed, and is extremely user-friendly. C3 is the most recommended for one-on-one duels and combo-making, while C4 and C6 are quick, albeit small, crowd-clearers. C5 is useful for some last-resort surprise attacks (as well as combo building, like C3), and C2 makes it easy to link with some characters' aerial Musou attacks.
- : Grabs the enemy and pushes them forward. Does very little damage, but is useful in breaking the enemy's guard.
- , : A quick lunge followed by an upward slash.
- , , : A very quick series of diagonal slashes. Enemies attacked by the first will be unable to escape the full combo.
- , , , : A horizontal slash which sends opponents flying.
- , , , , : Does three quick lunges forward.
- , , , , , : Sends an energy wave forward. This attack can break the enemy's guard.
- , , , , , : A quick combo made up of thrusts and slashes.
- Dashing : Hits foe while dashing forward.
- , : Does a quick lunge in mid-air.
- Dash: Rolls forward while in the air.
- Switch Attack: Sends forward countless energy lunges. Can cancel strong attacks in Next.
- : Does one lunge to the left.
- , , , , , : Does five jabs to the left and ends with three more stabs, only more powerful than the previous ones.
- Storm Rush: Does multiple jabs followed by a twirling slice that unleashes several slash marks upon the target.
- Switch Counter: Backs down before unleashing a quick short thrust forward.
A fighting style comprised mostly of lunges, the rapier is one of the least accurate movesets in the game. It is useful in crowd fights because the player does not have to focus on precision, but is very ineffective against officers due to its weak attacks. However, its speed is useful when cornered as it covers all areas around the player.
- : Flings out a wind blast forward that turns into a stationary tornado when it impacts a surface.
- , : Flings out a fiery explosion on the ground.
- , , : Summons lightning bolts within a small area.
- , , , : Sends forth a thin beam of energy.
- , , , , : Sends out a ball of wind forward that launches enemies up into the air.
- , , , , , : Sends forth three large energy beams.
- , , , , , : Sends out six wind blasts via continuous fan swipes in a row, while stepping forward for each one.
- Dashing : Swings fan in a leaping inward turn for a wind blast that knocks down.
- , : Shoots three lasers on the ground, causing fissures to erupt. Each shot can be aimed at different directions.
- Dash: Flips forward in mid-air.
- Switch Attack: Sends out a stationary tornado to attack nearby foes. The tornado effect is omitted in Next, though it can be used to cancel attacks despite its very short range.
- Dynasty Warriors 8
- Note: All motions are now done with the fan in the user's right hand instead of their left hand.
- , : Waves fan and creates a short gust of wind damaging enemies below.
- , : Previous air attack from seventh game.
- Storm Rush: Waves fan continuously, enveloping the user within a violent gust of wind.
- Switch Counter: Unleashes a powerful twister to repel opponents.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Unleashes three chains of wind at the opponent.
- Charge Attack 1: Generates a tornado that remains stationary for a brief moment of time. The Blast version enlarges the tornado and causes it to move at a slow pace.
- Charge Attack 2: Summons two small lightning bolts. The Blast version causes three pillars of lightning to rain down four times on a designated position.
The war fan Moveset is heavily influenced by Zhuge Liang's movesets in all prior installments. It consists of medium-close ranged attacks consisting of air gusts (each with a small knockback effect) and thunder-based magic strikes which generally serve as crowd-clearers. Its main weakness is the relatively obvious openings between attacks despite its medium speed. A secondary weapon which strikes fast and leaves few openings is recommended.
- : Slashes downwards with both swords. Stuns the enemy.
- , : Jumps while alternately slashing with both swords. Launches the enemy as well as the user.
- , , : Twirls both swords in front, then stabs with both of them simultaneously. Dizzies the enemy.
- , , , : A double spinning slash.
- , , , , : Stabs both swords into the ground, sending an air wave forward that launches enemies upward.
- , , , , , : A turning horizontal slice. If it connects, the user stabs the enemy before finishing up with a slash to the legs. It cannot be blocked.
- , , , , , : Six alternating slashes with both swords.
- Dashing : Jumps forward while rapidly spinning with both swords.
- , : Launches several jabs diagonally downward before releasing a cross-shaped energy wave.
- Dash: Rolls forward in the air while holding swords on both sides.
- Switch Attack: Emits a shockwave to knock away nearby opponents. In Next, the attack is an angular spinning slash used for canceling attacks and building combos.
- : Swings swords simultaneously on both sides.
- , , , , , : Sends out six small air waves to the left side.
- Dynasty Warriors 8
- , : Swipes both swords in a cutting motion.
- , : Previous air attack from seventh game.
- Storm Rush: Slashes repeatedly back and forth before thrusting both swords forward.
- Switch Counter: Steps back and does an outward cross slash.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Unleashes three consecutive energy waves towards foes.
- Charge Attack 1: Performs multiple alternating swings accompanied by a powerful thrust. The Blast version inflicts more damage while including additional swings.
- Charge Attack 2: Leaps up and stabs the ground to cause a minor tremor. The Blast version causes bolts of lightning to spread out in a fan formation once the user lands.
The moves of this weapon are taken directly from Liu Bei's Dynasty Warriors 6 moveset, with the attacks mixed together to match the charge attack system. Compared to other weapons, the twin swords' attack power is relatively weak, but makes up for it by having nearly every attack hit twice. Overall, it is an excellent weapon for clearing crowds thanks to its extremely powerful C4 and dashing attack. It loses much of its usefulness against officers, as it is very difficult to juggle with this weapon, but it is nonetheless still powerful.
- : Spins spear around within a full radius while finishing up with a pose on the left knee, breaking the opponent's guard. Can be held down to deal more damage and cannot be phased by attacks (with the exception of Musou attacks). Deals little damage.
- , : Strikes upward with blunt end of spear. If it connects, the user will continue to spin around the opponent, strike their legs, and send them flying to the air. The user then smashes the opponent down on the ground.
- , , , (): Stabs quickly three times before doing a dashing strike to the right. Pressing again will cause the user to add more stabs to the attack.
- , , , : Pulls back and shoots a narrow energy wave across the ground. If is held down, the user will send a wider arced energy wave instead.
- , , , , : Will swiftly charge spear up and down, emitting a large ground explosion and send opponents airborne.
- , , , , , : Executes a half-circular strike from right to left while also emitting a radial shockwave around the user. If is held down, the user will swing to the right instead. This version is more powerful and generates a much larger shockwave.
- , , , , , : Strikes to the left while simultaneously crossing the right foot between the left. The user crosses their legs back to normal while striking to the right, then swings directly from left to right before launching a frontal hit.
- Dashing : Dashes forward and strikes to the right.
- , : Jumps and sweeps from right to left in the air.
- Switch Attack: Plants spear into the ground and swings forward, causing a supposed dropkick into scissoring the opponent's neck with feet used as an anchor. From here, the user extends their spear at full length and spins around counter-clockwise within a wide radius before slamming the victim into the ground with a headscissors takedown by doing a somersault. It resembles Zhao Yun's deadlock attack from Dynasty Warriors 6. The move loses its grappling quality in Next, though it can be used to cancel strong attacks.
- Dynasty Warriors 8
- Holding : User performs a stronger spin attack imbued with the cyclone element.
- , , , Holding : User performs a sweeping spin motion that shoots out a blade of energy.
- , , , , , Holding : User performs a charge thrust followed by a circular slash.
- Storm Rush: Stabs forward repeatedly, ending the attack with a final thrust.
- Switch Counter: Dodges incoming attack in time for a quick strike forward.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Swings spear three times in a row.
- Charge Attack 1: Twirls spear upward, generating a protective tornado; once the twirling ends, the wielder follows it up with a leaping overhead swing. The Blast version produces a more violent tornado and increases swing's hit range.
- Charge Attack 2: Dives forward at high speed. The Blast version has the wielder deliver repeated thrusts and a diagonal swipe right before the dive attack.
This moveset is a slightly modified version of Zhao Yun's moveset from Dynasty Warriors 6 and shares many of the same strengths and weaknesses. A good overall style for beginning players to use, it is highly mobile with good crowd clearing attacks, decent speed, and range.
- : Sends forth an air wave along the ground, breaking the enemy's guard.
- , : Hits the nearest enemy with rear end of weapon. It if connects, the victim will be struck by the blade end before being tossed into the air. Cannot be blocked.
- , , , (): Two leaping spin slashes followed by a horizontal slash, stunning the enemy. Can be done twice in a row.
- , , , : A mighty left-to-right slash forward.
- , , , , : A small hop followed by a downward chop.
- , , , , , : Twirls weapon overhead, then a diagonal slash upward.
- , , , , , : Does six alternating swipes from left to right.
- Switch Attack: Slams the ground with rear end of pike, brings down the nearest enemy, then violently lifts weapon upward to throw the downed victim into the air. Can be canceled with another hit string in Next.
- : Swings vertically to the right and left.
- , , , , , : Launches several vertical slices six consecutive times.
- Dynasty Warriors 8
- , : Spins around in the air before slamming the ground with enough might to produce fissures.
- Storm Rush: Swings weapon diagonally back and forth, unleashing a piercing strike at the end of the attack.
- Switch Counter: Dodges attack before countering with two or more twirling slashes and a wide frontal swing.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Slices the opponent three times.
- Charge Attack 1: Launches a shockwave traveling on the ground. The Blast version sacrifices the shockwave's speed in exchange for more power.
- Charge Attack 1 (Zhu Huan): Does a round swing to the left. The Blast version has a wider swing and release two fireballs; one of the fireballs moves away in one direction while the other follows the wielder.
- Charge Attack 2: Performs a spinning slash followed by a wide frontal swipe. The Blast version adds a second spin while slightly increasing the range of each slash mark.
- Charge Attack 2 (Zhu Huan): Spins around and releases an energy wave. The Blast version creates a stronger energy wave that quickly travels at a farther distance.
The pike is a modified version of the polearm moveset in Dynasty Warriors 6. It now boasts a stronger square chain and like the spear moveset is relatively user-friendly and has good range. However, it suffers from a somewhat slow attacking speed and has few knockbacks.
- : Pounds the ground in front with one end of the weapon, breaking the guard of nearby foes.
- , : An uppercut with the left-hand blade.
- , , : A series of zig-zagging slashes done while moving forward. Ends with a stab with the right-hand side of blade.
- , , , : A semi-circular heavy slash into the front arc with the right-hand blade.
- , , , , : Spins weapon violently like a propeller to the front.
- , , , , , : Twirls weapon overhead, ends with a fierce right-to-left slash forward.
- , , , , , : Three alternating slashes from both blades, ending with a spinning slash.
- Switch Attack: A half-circular right-to-left slash. Can be used to cancel attacks in Next.
- Switch Effect: User's attack range temporarily increases when switched to this weapon.
- : Slashes diagonally to the right and left.
- , , , , , : Twirls voulge diagonally from left to right repeatedly.
- Storm Rush: Unleashes multiple cuts by twirling weapon continuously. The user then proceeds to roll in the air and pound the ground.
- Switch Counter: Jumps back and repels opponent by stabbing the ground.
The double voulge moveset is heavily influenced by Wei Yan's movesets prior to Dynasty Warriors 6. It consists of mediocre crowd clearing abilities with its C1 to C4 moves, while the C5 is an excellent one-on-one officer killer (since every one of its spins is elemental). Its C6 is good for crowd control, allowing the user to break out of massive flocks of enemies.
- : Swings sword aside to break guard. Hold to perform an overhead smash.
- , : Raises weapon upward before pausing.
- , , : Slams sword's front edge towards opponent.
- , , , : Sends forth a mighty air wave.
- , , , , : Slams the ground with enough force to lift up enemies.
- , , , , , : Raises sword to perform a shockwave, followed by a powerful wave of air.
- , , , , , : Unleashes three revolving slashes, a ground slam, and two powerful swipes.
- Switch Attack: Does an overhead chop. Can be charged for greater damage. The attack loses its charge feature in Next, though it can be used to cancel attacks instead.
- Special Effect: After performing any strong attack, holding down will activate either C4 or C5.
- Storm Rush: Spins around with enough force to produce a whirlwind. The attack ends with the user chopping the ground.
- Switch Counter: Steps back and launches an upward arcing slash.
- Special Effect: When performing any strong attack holding , then releasing when sword is behind the user will cause them to slash horizontally and release a wave of energy. Continuing to hold past the mid mark will end the attack with an overhead smash instead.
- : Smashes the ground to trigger a weak explosion.
- , : Kicks the opponent into the air.
- , , : Throws three fans of paralyzing knives into opponents.
- , , , : Kicks the enemy away.
- , , , , : Smashes the ground to send enemies flying upward.
- , , , , , : Fiercely throws two fans of daggers onto the opponent.
- , , , , , : Pelts enemies with five knives in a row several times.
- Dashing : Throws knives in the air, kicks them when falling down onto the opponent.
- , : Throws two fans of knives down to the opponent.
- Dash: Rolls forward while in mid-air.
- Switch Attack: Sends a fan of daggers that daze any nearby enemies. In Next, the attack staggers foes instead and can also be used to cancel strong attacks.
- : Hurls an array of knives from both sides.
- , , , , , : Throws daggers down at opponents from the left side.
- Storm Rush: Rapidly chucks a shower of knives towards nearby opponents, finishing the barrage by tossing more knives within the user's front view.
- Switch Counter: Tumbles back before throwing multiple knives in a fan formation.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Hurls three knives in a row thrice.
- Charge Attack 1: Throws an array of five knives twice in succession. The Blast version releases red-colored knives that do more damage.
- Charge Attack 2: Slams the ground hard. The Blast version causes the wielder to toss a knife that generates a wide gravity field to knock surrounding foes away.
The throwing knives moveset is quick and strong at mid-range and short-range combat. Not only does it offer excellent combo capabilities, its attacks can easily fill up the Musou gauge. Unfortunately, the throwing knives are not good to use if the player is surrounded at all sides as it lacks strong knockback attacks and generally only hits enemies in the front. This leaves users of this moveset highly vulnerable to attacks from behind. It also has a hard time breaking blocks and guards but can easily juggle opponents if they are already airborne.
Chain & SickleEdit
- : Rolls forward and makes an anticipated throw to the front. If it hits an enemy, the user will slash at their ankle.
- , : Flails sickle upward.
- , , : Rams shoulder forward.
- , , , : Does four wide criss-cross slashes to the front, ending the attack with a stronger slash forward.
- , , , , : Wraps chain around a small group of enemies, violently yanks them upwards, then creates a small explosion that sends them all flying.
- , , , , , : Launches sickle diagonally to attack foe.
- , , , , , : Lands two frontal slashes against the enemy before hurling sickle in varying directions.
- Dashing : Throws the sickle out to the front, causing a small spinning slash.
- , : A downward swipe while leaping in the air.
- Dash: Rolls forward in the air.
- Switch Attack: Leaps into the air and comes back down, sending forth an air wave which stuns all enemies caught in its path. Can be used while being attacked by enemies. Next changes the move into a crouching overhead swing capable of canceling strong attacks.
- : An anticipated swing to the right side, then to the left.
- , , , , , : Six rotating swings to the right side.
- Storm Rush: Flails weapon back and forth several times, sending it out at the end of the attack.
- Switch Counter: Flips back into the air before sending out energy waves upon landing.
While the chain and sickle has great range, its large sweeping swings can leave gaps in the user's attack through which an enemy can take advantage of at higher levels. It also does not provide full coverage. Thus, it works best when equipped together with a fast-striking or wide-ranged secondary weapon.
- : An anticipated throw into the front arc. Breaks the enemy's guard.
- , : Turns once and hits an enemy upwards.
- , , : Does two anticipated diagonal swings.
- , , , : A small hop followed by a ground smash.
- , , , , : Grabs the nearest foe, twirls them around, and slams the ground with enough force to send the victim airborne.
- , , , , , : Hooks up enemies in the front. If a single enemy is caught, the user swings weapon in an overhead fashion and slams them to the ground. If more than one foe is hooked up, they will be swung overhead and tossed away instead.
- , , , , , : Spins flail back and forth, twirls it around further, slams the ground, and thrusts it forward.
- Switch Attack: Sends forth an air wave along the ground. Can cancel strong attacks in Next.
- Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires
- , , : Swings flail upwards, then slams it down on the ground at full force.
- , , , : Turns body in the air at an angle and then spins around, slamming the flail head into the ground and repeating the process with each consecutive jump. can be mashed to extend the attack to 5 slams total.
- , , , , , : Flail grapples onto enemies and spins around multiple times. user then jumps up into the air as they fling the grappled enemies into the air.
- Dashing : Twirls flail around users body while still running a short distance. can be mashed to extend the run and add additional swings.
- Shadow Sprint: Performs a short flying kick.
- Storm Rush: Spins weapon around several times, slamming it unto the earth at the end of the assault.
- Switch Counter: Evades attack before swinging weapon towards the enemy.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Strikes at the enemy back and forth before launching a gyrating blow.
- Charge Attack 1: Spins forward twice, striking the ground during the first turn and swinging diagonally at the end of the move. The Blast version adds more ground strikes, causing the user to travel further than usual.
- Charge Attack 2: Swings flail in a circular motion, then slams it unto the earth. The Blast version adds fire to the attack and causes fissures to erupt during the final hit.
In Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires, the flail gains a change in attacks to match the fighting style of its new EX owner Gan Ning.
- : Rolls forward knocking any foes in the way.
- , : Flings the nearest opponent into the air.
- , , : A double spinning swing done counterclockwise followed by a clockwise swing.
- , , , : Sends enemies flying with a strong swing.
- , , , , : Grabs the nearest enemy and throws them up in the air, swinging them away upon their descent.
- , , , , , : Does a mighty overhead smash on the ground.
- , , , , , : Slams weapon on the ground, thrusts three times, launches a swing, and does another slam.
- Switch Attack: Swings at full strength, sending an air wave traveling along the ground. Can be used in the middle of performing other attacks in Next.
- Storm Rush: Pounds the earth multiple times.
- Switch Counter: Rolls backwards before hopping forward and launching a quick overhead swing.
The club moveset is a modified version of the mace moveset found in Dynasty Warriors 6. It has moderate range, but its moves are slow and unwieldy even with characters who have maximum proficiency ratings for the weapon. C3 is the most commonly recommended move as it can quickly build up combo hits. Its strong attacks have a chance of sending an enemy flying away, though this may be a disadvantageous for those who wish to build up decent combo chains.
- : Two bashes and a punch. Has guard-breaking properties.
- , : An uppercut swing, sending the nearest enemy upwards.
- , , : Launches rapid kicks down to up and accompanies it with a rising uppercut.
- , , , : Performs a roundhouse kick, then an anticipated swing to the front.
- , , , , : A few heavy swings into the front arc, then jumps and performs a roundhouse kick.
- , , , , , : Does a spinning bash forward, then leaps up time to perform a frontal swipe.
- , , , , , : Executes multiple swipes in varying angles.
- Dashing : Releases a cutting wave to the front with a turning smack, then sends out another.
- , : Sends a cutting wave downwards with an outward swat. Halts aerial momentum unlike other normal midair attacks.
- Dash: Rolls forward while leaping in mid-air.
- Switch Attack: Sends forth two diagonal air waves. Can be used to follow-up strong attacks in Next.
- Switch Effect: User's attack speed temporarily increases when switched to this weapon.
- Storm Rush: Flails weapon around several times, repelling affected enemies by the end of the assault.
- Switch Counter: Somersaults back before unleashing two hits and a single kick.
- : Does a quick spin kick that stuns enemies.
- , : Lifts one end of the staff upwards, knocking enemies into the air.
- , , : Runs forward while twirling the staff to both sides twice before finishing with a spin kick. Dizzies opponents.
- , , , : Turns around, then quickly strikes twice horizontally.
- , , , , : Spins and jumps upward while striking horizontally with the staff, launching both foe and user into the air.
- , , , , , : Jumps while spinning, then strikes low while landing, sending out a large shockwave forward.
- , , , , , : A series of spinning and twirling strikes.
- Dashing : Does a quick low horizontal swing.
- , : By pressing twice, the user strikes diagonally upward four times in a row, then nosedives into the ground to trigger a small tremor.
- Dash: Spins around once while in the air.
- Switch Attack: A quick strike aimed diagonally downwards. Can also be performed while in the air. In Next, the attack has attack-canceling qualities though it cannot be used in mid-air combat anymore.
- Storm Rush: Swings staff in front of the enemy repeatedly before leaping up in time to strike at them.
- Switch Counter: Turns around backwards and attacks opponent with a few horizontal twirls.
The staff is based on Zhou Yu's moveset from Dynasty Warriors 6. It both covers a large area and is relatively fast, making it a good choice for clearing crowds. The staff also has surprisingly high attack power and is quite powerful against officers. The only disadvantages lie in the quirky hitboxes some attacks seem to have, particularly the fourth and fifth part of the attack string. It is not rare to miss enemies with these attacks because of the high position of the hitbox. It is therefore advised to fight enemies either on level or from lower ground.
- : Clangs both fists together to produce a small shockwave, breaking the enemy's guard.
- , : Grabs the nearest foe and tosses them into the air.
- , , : Grabs the nearest enemy, swings them around, then tosses them away.
- , , , : Holds onto the nearest enemy by the ankles, spins twice on the spot, then tosses them away.
- , , , , : Jumps onto the nearest enemy, and slams them to the ground with the help of the character's legs.
- , , , , , : Grabs the nearest foe, pounds them twice (once to the front and once to the back) on the ground (with each pound generating a shockwave), then tosses them out.
- , , , , , : Does four alternative hook punches, one minor ground smash, and a straight punch.
- Dashing : Grabs the nearest enemy by the shoulders, vaults over them, and slams the victim to the ground.
- , : Reaches down to grab a foe, somersaults in mid-air, and hurls them away.
- Switch Attack: Punches forward with both fists, sending forth an air wave. Can also be performed while airborne. Although the attack loses its aerial function in Next, it can be used to cancel non-grappling attacks.
- Storm Rush: Punches surrounding enemies repeatedly, ending the combo by thrusting both fists forward simultaneously.
- Switch Counter: Dodges attack before countering by forcefully pushing the enemy back.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Punches at the opponent three times.
- Charge Attack 1: Dashes forward like an animal and claws at approaching enemies before landing violently on the ground. The Blast version prolongs the dashing part of the move.
- Charge Attack 2: Shakes fist momentarily before striking the earth with enough force to cause a tremor. The Blast version causes the cracks of the impact to produce smaller fissures for more coverage.
The glove moveset has short range, but it boasts the most numerous grapple attacks among all weapons from C2 all the way to C6. Every one of these grapple attacks are, as with all grapples within this series, unblockable by any opponent. Therefore it is regarded as a very effective close-range weapon with moderate attack speed.
- : A swift roundhouse kick that pierces through the enemy's defense.
- , : Fires an arrow on the ground which explodes and launches nearby foes into the air.
- , , : Fires a directed paralyzing arrow at an opponent.
- , , , : Fires a barrage of arrows from left to right.
- , , , , : Jumps up and fires an exploding arrow to the ground.
- , , , , , : Shoots two volleys of arrows above the opponent and the player.
- , , , , , : Fires three arrows per shot, with the last hit knocking opponents away.
- Dashing : Slams the opponent with the bow.
- , : Jumps around while firing a row of arrows to the ground.
- Dash: Flips forward while jumping.
- Switch Attack: Backflips in midair and shoots in a frontal arc. Attack is always ice elemental regardless of the original weapon, though Next omits it in favor of canceling strong attacks at will.
- : Shoots an arrow upward, and it comes down as a fiery rain of arrows around the player.
- , , , , , : Fires exploding arrows from the left side of the horse.
- Storm Rush: Fires a volley of arrows continuously before releasing a more powerful shot towards the opponent.
- Switch Counter: Hops back and shoots at the enemy while sliding down on the floor.
The bow moveset incorporates many attacks from its previous incarnation and has a good range and moderate knockbacks. However, it renders the user immobile and most of its charge attacks are only moderately powerful. C6 is the most commonly suggested move.
- : Sends forth a beam of light across the ground, breaking the guard of any foe caught in it.
- , : Slams the ground once to create a small fiery shockwave.
- , , , (): Strikes the ground twice to create two fiery explosions. The first explosion stuns enemies, and the second one sends them flying.
- , , , : Sends forth several targeting projectiles that explode on contact.
- , , , , : Sends forth a short but wide beam of light.
- , , , , , : Raises weapon overhead and releases a semi-circular shockwave to the front, sending nearby opponents flying. Has fire elemental properties.
- , , , , , : Does a quick jab, four quick strikes, then raises rod to conjure a bolt of lightning.
- Dashing : Performs a forward flip while slamming rod against the ground, knocking nearby enemies into the air.
- , : A downward swipe done while leaping in the air.
- Dash: Rolls forward while leaping in the air.
- Switch Attack: Slams rod on the ground to produce a dozen orbs of light following the user and exploding shortly. In Next, the impact of the rod causes it to trigger a small explosion instead, causing fire damage and canceling attacks instantaneously.
- : Raises weapon overhead and sends a shockwave to each side.
- , , , , , : Swings to the left side six consecutive times.
- Storm Rush: Produces multiple geysers rising in different spots before sending out more to repel enemies away from the area.
- Switch Counter: Steps back and retaliates by conjuring an explosion in front of the user.
- : Conjures a quick unblockable whirlwind, leaving the enemy stunned for several seconds.
- , : Thrust fan upward, swinging the target upward along with it.
- , , : Throws fan outwards and low to the ground, stunning the target. Afterwards, the fan returns after spinning around the player, hitting more surrounding enemies.
- , , , : Causes the fan to travel around the user, knocking away nearby opponents.
- , , , , : Conjures a massive whirlwind, sending enemies as well as the player into the air.
- , , , , , : Stuns and grabs a foe with an unblockable attack while spinning around while showered in flower petals, then knocks them in the back of the head.
- , , , , , : Repeatedly swipes with the edge of fan in a dancing motion until the sixth hit knocks the target down.
- Dashing : Throws fan a short distance ahead of the user, knocking any enemy out of the way.
- , : A short swift attack aimed at an enemy on the ground.
- Dash: Turns around once while jumping.
- Switch Attack: Throws the fan a short distance away; it will spin in place to create a temporary whirlwind which will then juggle any opponent caught within it. Can be used in conjunction with the harp's attack string to produce traveling sound waves. In Next, a short-ranged air wave is hurled instead, though it can be used to cancel attacks.
- : Tosses fan downward to the right, where it spins on the ground from right to left before returning to the user.
- , , , , , : Does multiple quick swings to the right.
- Dynasty Warriors 8
- , , , , , : User jumps up and throws fan down towards grounded foes at an angle. Taken from Xiaoqiao's moveset in Warriors Orochi 3.
- Storm Rush: Flings weapon back and forth. At the end of the assault, the user jumps forward and does a round slash against the victim.
- Switch Counter: Flips back and performs an aerial somersault attack.
- Shin Sangoku Musou Blast
- Normal Attack: Smacks the opponent with round swipes.
- Charge Attack 1: Throws fan in a circular motion; travels counter-clockwise while lifting foes caught in its path. The Blast version adds more speed and coverage.
- Charge Attack 2: Spins into the air at a slanted angle to juggle enemies. The Blast version traps the victim within a petal whirlwind that remains in place for several seconds before disappearing.
The iron fan moveset is one of the weaker movesets in the game, primarily due to the lack of range in its normal attack string and low weapon attack power. Charge attacks are mediocre at best. Nonetheless, it is an overall balanced moveset with one-on-one attacks (normal attacks, C2, and C6) as well as crowd clearing moves (C3, C4, and C5). Its most useful move is C5, which serves as both an area attack and an escape maneuver. Its C4 is also an excellent officer-killing attack when coupled with the lightning element and several offensive seals.
In Dynasty Warriors 8, the iron fan has been decreased in size while gaining a greater increase in attack speed. It now generates small blades of air around the fan when striking to increase weapon range.