This is a page where you can talk to the Koei Wiki community, kind of like a forum. Here you should discuss ways to improve the wiki so that everyone can be involved and can input their ideas.
- Koei Wiki:Community Portal/Archive 1 - archived on June 22, 2010
Koei Fandom wiki?Edit
This has been brought up by Ericard, but it feels weird to only have him start up without too many people backing him up. I'm for it, since I know people really like the Warriors series, but I'm not willing to have any part of it personally. So, I am asking if anyone -even the people who just casually visit this wikia- is interested in having a separate database for all of the silly, quirky, fun things that fans make up for Koei games. Support it if you wish and run it as you guys wish. My only request is that it be free reign for anything fan related. :3 It's not fun -and a bit childish- to bash or discriminate too much over liking a particular character. Sake neko 21:50, June 22, 2010 (UTC)
Koei stated that we(Koei Wikia) are good at getting charater quotes.Jediknight Vampire 17:28, July 15, 2010 (UTC)
- Heh that's cute. Kyosei 19:14, July 15, 2010 (UTC)
Kinda thinking of adding this to the Character Info section. Mostly because a lot of the Japanese names for weapons or other gimmicks lose their integrity in one way or another when the games are localized. Such as Honda's fourth weapon in Samurai Warriors. It's not Tonbogiri; the Japanese name refers to a god in Buddhism who is associated with the Four Heavenly Kings worship. The original names for Xu Huang's third and fourth weapons are references to the Four Divine Beasts in Asian mythology and contrasts Guan Yu's weapon names; the White Tiger (Xu Huang) and Blue Dragon (Guan Yu) are opposites in the four directions (Baihu being west, Qinglong being east). Stuff like that. Since not every character has these type of references, I was thinking of making it a flexible section (if they have something like it great; if not, don't include it).
If we do add it though, I would rather the section be specific to the character in someway not otherwise mentioned in the development section. I would also like to avoid the obvious references regarding character appearances (such as red dominate color scheme=Wu in Dynasy Warriors or the Azai crest on Oichi's outfit) unless they are significant with real life portrayal of the character (i.e: Zhuge Liang with a feathered fan). If it's something that can be linked back into the character's historical or mythological information or to other NPC characters, then even better. This might be one big waste of time though, so I'm wondering if we should even include it. Thoughts please? Sake neko 17:06, August 17, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm trying to visualize how a section like this would actually look like on a page/be written out. From how you're describing it, the section seems like something that would be very interesting to read. I don't want to put work on you, but could I get some sort of idea how an example paragraph would be? ): Also, to make sure I understand, would the section 'specialize' in items like, for example, if we were to ignore previous mentions of it on the article, the fishing rod's signifiance to Taigong Wang seeing as he uses it as a weapon in the WO series? GreatPanda 02:22, August 19, 2010 (UTC)
- Hrm, basically I was thinking something along these lines as far as format within a character article.
- Character Information (section)
- Other references - can't really think of a good name for it yet; symbolism maybe?; if a character has anything of the sort.
- Voice Actors
- I would like to regulate the third section to mainly items or specific mannerisms of a character (unless it's like the Zhuge Liang example I mentioned earlier). And I'm glad you mentioned Taigong Wang since he falls into this category of interest. A sample blurb would look something like this:
- Other references
- His manner of using his whip as a fishing rod in the Warriors Orochi series references the famed fishing techniques he used in legends to be noticed by Prince Wen. A callback to his Fengshen Yanyi counterpart is his act of summoning gusts of wind within his moveset. In the games, he can use them instantly but Taigong Wang needed time to pray for them in the original novel.
- The Asian names for the weapons of his Warriors counterpart are references to mystical treasures used in Fengshen Yanyi. His first weapon is named Golden Whip (金鞭) and fits the description of one of Wen Zhong's weapons. It had the power to conjure thunderstorms and lightning instantly in one swing, and Wen Zhong wielded dual versions of the same whip. Taigong Wang's second weapon takes its namesake from Mother Golden Spirit (金霊鞭, Golden Spirit Whip), said to be Wen Zhong's superior being mentor and the one who killed Princess Longji and her husband. He gets to use the same whip he wielded in the novel for his third weapon (打神鞭, Dashen Whip or Whip of the Gods). With this weapon, he has the power to strike the very minds of men and could crack the skulls of supernatural beings. The name for his fourth whip doesn't actually appear in the original novel, but it exists within a popular rendition of the story (雷公鞭, Raikoupen or Whip of the Thunder Duke). This weapon was wielded by Taigong Wang's friend-turned-enemy from the original epic, Shen Gongbao (<-link when I finally make his page).
- (then add info like this from Fengshen Yanyi games if there are any)
- Voice Actors
- It'd look like something like this. Not sure on the section name yet though. I'm more than willing to write these out because it's fun to know and I didn't want to write overblown trivia sections on character pages just to say the same thing. It'll also give a nice place for all of the kanji and floating particle effects for the Samurai Warriors cast. Nice to know there's some interest in it. Sake neko 16:59, August 19, 2010 (UTC)
- Looks very good, and something new and attractive for any readers the Wiki might have. I'm wiling to support its inclusion on character pages (I think it's forgivable to only selectively add the section to whatever page needs it), but at the same time, unless a better name is found, Symbolism seems broad enough for a title. GreatPanda 18:15, August 19, 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, I'm stumped on that part. I was thinking something like "other notes", but that doesn't really seem strong enough to me. I've always been bad with names. Do you think other users can devise a better one? Maybe we can make a poll or something, or bring up to users from Koei Warriors about it. :/ Sake neko 18:24, August 19, 2010 (UTC)
- Agreed, there are probably better choices than "other notes" but I could see it being used as a last resort. Help from other users would also assist nicely in this situation, there's nothing that could be detrimental from getting more input from different people! :D If we want the biggest results, I'd say we could bring it as a discussion or poll to KOEI Warriors. GreatPanda 04:28, August 21, 2010 (UTC)
- I'll leave that up to you since you already have an account there. Just link back here so people can have an idea of what the section is. I would really appreciate more people on the wiki taking part though... but yeah. Sake neko 14:55, August 22, 2010 (UTC)
- Alrighty then. There is already a topic concerning what people think of our little Wiki, so I'll probably bring it up there. I don't think I can promise we'll get a flood of suggestions, though. And yeah, input specifically from other KOEI Wiki members would be snazzy. In any case, I'll post in the topic, asking for suggestions on the name , give an insert of what you described the section to be, and also give a link of this discussion. GreatPanda 19:23, August 22, 2010 (UTC)
- The post I made revived the topic somewhat, but from the nine posts that were made after mine, only one answered to my question for name suggestions. The user said: "'Character Symbolism' seems good to me. It's a catchy title that conveys the meaning well. 'Other References' and 'Other Notes' are less specific and appealing." GreatPanda 03:12, September 4, 2010 (UTC)
- D'okay. Let's go with that then. Time to start writing. :3 Sake neko 15:56, September 4, 2010 (UTC)
This is a really important subject regarding the future look of wikis on Wikia. First off, please please please look here in a new window/tab/whatever. This page links how the new mandatory look for all wikis will look like and when these changes will take effect. Not too long from now either. Logged in users can test out the "New wiki look" through the preferences options at any of the five test wikis linked.
Now, they say this is supposed to be a beta. But it feels more like an alpha when they're already trying to actually make this format for all wikias in a matter of a month. This is like watching glitches, typos, and bugs happen in the pre-release edition of FFXIV. Wow.
New look: yay or nay? I'm willing to give it chance, but frankly my impressions so far aren't very good. I'm not to the point of wanting to vote for a wiki move (like Wowwiki, Bleachwiki, Simpsonswiki, etc.), but the scrunched up, 600px dedicated reading space is rather discerning. Just... urgh... Sake neko 17:08, September 29, 2010 (UTC)
- New look things for those who are interested:
- Comparison of New wikia skin and Monoco by a reasonable pessimist; Monobook's staying around as an option but it's not going to be updated and basically left for dead.
- So if the wiki looks weird and more ad laden than before, this is the reason why. Sake neko 17:34, November 3, 2010 (UTC)
New wiki and main page designEdit
For those that haven't tried it out or know about it yet, Wikia is implementing a new skin called Oasis. This can be seen by turning it on in your user preferences. This will become the default look for everyone by November 3. Mostly I want to ask if there's any particular color schemes or possible background image people want to have for the layout.
Also I was thinking of changing the main page up a bit. This entire wiki's a bit too Warriorsfocused and while that was fine when it was still Dynasty Warriors based we've since moved beyond solely covering it. I think the main page should also reflect this. I was thinking for now the main page should simply link to any series pages or initial games for major franchises, use icons to link to any major site categories and make the news section slightly more generalized to cover Koei news as supposed to just Warriors-related items.
In any case, if anyone has any objections, suggestions or comments feel free to respond. If there's no responses though I may just do whatever strikes my fancy haha. So speak your piece! Kyosei 23:09, October 8, 2010 (UTC)
Just something smallEdit
Over my absence from the Wiki that wasn't too long ago, I forgot how to Redirect a page. I changed my preferences to back to the (Monaco?) original format for the Wiki, and I couldn't find any how-tos after a very quick look through the Wiki Tutorial link on the main page, so could someone give me a quick run through of how to redirect? If nobody minds I'll be doing a small little campaign on making these types of pages so searches like DW5: XL or DW5XL go back to the appropriate page. It'll make it easier for casual readers of the Wiki, as even I get frustrated when I search Xuande and it doesn't go straight to Liu Bei. GreatPanda 02:43, November 3, 2010 (UTC)
- The Monaco option's going away forever and is being removed tomorrow/today (depending on your time zone) just so you know. Better to switch your preferences to use the MonoBook skin for something similar to Monaco if you don't like the new skin though you probably won't be able to see some of the newer things like the user avatars/blogs or the Facebook stuff.
- In any case, the help page you were looking for is here. Create new page with the alternate name (Xuande). On that new page simply type in wiki code: #redirect [[Page title]]. Page title being the name of the page you want to redirect to (Liu Bei). There's also a wiki button for it in wiki markup table below the editing space though you'll only see it if you disable the Rich Text Editing in your Editing preferences or click the Source view button (far right-hand side of the editing tools) while using the Rich Text editor. I know it's confusing, right? This is why I always avoided using the Rich Text editor as it is completely devoid of the more useful wiki code shortcuts. Kyosei 05:29, November 3, 2010 (UTC)
Yay or Nay?Edit
For those who don't know, Wikia has yet again forced another change on its community: the "Read More" and "Category Galleries". I think this wiki's pretty organized as is and the templates already let Warriors fans (majority of people who come here) visit whatever specific page they want. "Read More" section's a little too randomized for my tastes to be particularly useful. The category galleries are... well, it's nice to see the top eight visited articles at that moment, but it's not really my thing.
My simple question is does anyone want to keep these features activated? If you don't, we can just tell Kyosei to ask the Wikia staff to disable on this wiki. I'm for a "nay" vote right now, but it'd still be nice for the community -is there anyone else who frequents this place? - to have a say too. Sake neko 01:55, December 8, 2010 (UTC)
Now, i was wondering, about the part under commanders, why not have a table featuring all officers in every game it is in. I could do it fine because i tend (for my own reasons)sometimes to write down these anyway. I have:
I could provide the info but i dont know how to set up a proxy one. How bout it? —Preceding unsigned comment added by Minilee (talk • contribs)
- The point of the battle infobox is to point out what's important to know in a very succinct and concise manner and with something that is generally consistent. The infoboxes are also somewhat more geared towards their novel/historical incarnations for this reason as supposed to their game counterparts. Given that very few of these npcs who appear in these battles do little more than serve as fodder for the player to bulldozer down and don't always appear in every game or in any alternate version of the battle I'm not sure what's the point of listing every single one. Kyosei 03:33, April 17, 2011 (UTC)
Bladestorm: Hundred Years WarEdit
- There are no pages due to the lack of any knowledgeable editors about the subject. If you know something about the Bladestorm characters feel free to make them yourself. Kyosei 00:38, September 13, 2011 (UTC)
Thinking of translating them one at a time because someone might appreciate them. Like the ones SW and DW have. Some of them are neat, others not so much. Does anyone want them? If no one says anything, I won't bother trying to put them up. Sake neko 23:45, May 16, 2012 (UTC)
- Why not? Translating the CD dramas would be wonderful indeed. Say, have you thought about doing a translation of the drama CD set for Dynasty Warriors 4? Humble Novice 00:56, May 17, 2012 (UTC)
Just wanted to say hi...Edit
I'm a newbie Wikia member and I couldn't find any other place to do this. I'd wish to give my contributions, especially on the Warriors Orochi series. First of all, I'd like to expand the history related to Warriors Orochi characters providing more detailed information on canon events occuring in the various story modes and more. Please forgive me if I wrongly edited/messed up with this page, and thank you in advance for your patience !!
- Hi there, fresh blood. Thanks for actually using this page; greetings like the one you're doing is what it's here for. Nearly all of the known WO characters' stories are already summarized pretty well on the respective character pages. What does need more fleshing out for this particular franchise are the battle pages. Believe me, it'll really be appreciated since battle pages are kinda scarce in that regard. Hope this helps, and welcome. Sake neko (talk) 03:35, October 13, 2012 (UTC)